LANDESK Data Protection overview
The LANDESK® Data Protection with Credant tool is an integrated partner solution that lets you collect, track, and view information about the data integrity status for your managed devices via the LANDESK console.
LANDESK Data Protection utilizes two Credant partner tools — the Credant Enterprise server (already installed and configured) and the Credant agent software deployed to and running on your LANDESK managed devices.
NOTE: Data Protection is licensed from LANDESK Software, Inc.as an add-on to LANDESK products. If you don't see Data Protection as part of your installation, contact your reseller to purchase a license that enables Data Protection with Credant.
Secured by Data Protection services
When the Credant (Data Protection) agent software is installed, configured with a security policy, and given enough time to apply that policy to a managed device, the device is considered "protected" by the integrated Credant Data Protection service. Credant servers use policy-based intelligent data encryption to secure the data on protected devices. LANDESK simply collects this information and reports it to the core database which allows LANDESK administrators to view device Data Protection information in the console's Inventory view and in a predefined Data Protection report.
Intelligent data encryption has the following features:
- Supports industry-standard algorithms (including FIPS 140-2-validated AES 128 and AES 256)
- Complements Microsoft Windows BitLocker
- Automatic encryption key escrow for simple, immediate data recovery
- Encrypts the local Security Account Manager (SAM) database and domain password hash
The LANDESK core server collects information from the Credant (Data Protection) server database as determined by the Data Protection configuration entered in the Management Suite console. (Note that these features are delivered by Credant and may change depending on their product design.)
IMPORTANT: Credant Enterprise servers must already be installed and set up
In order to use the new integrated Data Protection tools and features via the LANDESK console, a Credant Enterprise (Data Protection) server or servers must already be installed in your LANDESK network environment. In other words, Credant server installation and setup tasks must already be performed before you configure the servers in the LANDESK console and create the Data Protection database connection to the LANDESK core database. For more information, go to the Credant Web site: Credant Enterprise Edition Home Page.
Features and benefits
With LANDESK Data Protection, you can:
- Configure a connection between your LANDESK core server and the Credant servers that performs data synchronization between the respective databases.
- View Data Protection information in both the LANDESK Inventory view (under the Data Protect node), and the right-click Summary view (immediately sync the data from the Credant database to the LANDESK database as it displays the results in the console).
- Launch the Credant Web console.
- Create queries using the information gathered from the Credant Data Protection databases and from clients with the Credant agent installed that search for specific attributes, as you do with any other type of inventory data. You can also use this information in standard column sets.
- Create scheduled tasks that automatically collects information from all of your Credant Data Protection databases into the LANDESK database.
- Generate a Data Protection report that compiles and shows all of your protected device information in a single graphical report.
NOTE: LANDESK Data Protection supports multiple servers and databases
Administrators have the ability to gather managed device data information from multiple Data Protection servers and databases.
Data Protection main tasks outline
The list below outlines the main tasks involved in configuring, implementing, and using Data Protection. See feature-specific help topics for detailed conceptual and procedural information.
- Configure the Credant Enterprise servers.
- In the Credant console, create and apply data protection policy rules for client devices.
- Add the Credant Data Protection server, including database information, to your LANDESK network via the console.
- Install the Credant agent software on your managed devices.
- Gather LANDESK inventory from devices.
- On the core server, create and run a scheduled task to sync data from the Credant databases to the LANDESK database.
- View Data Protection information in the Inventory view.
- View Data Protection information in the Summary view.
- Generate Data Protection reports.
IMPORTANT: Do NOT stop the Credant service on your managed devices
LANDESK Data Protection has enhanced the Inventory scanner to detect whether the Credant agent is installed on the managed device, the version numbers, and if the services are running. Do NOT stop the Credant service because it forces your machine to reboot.
About the Data Protection log file
The Data Protection log file can help system administrators troubleshoot problems related to the process that sync data from the Credant Database to the Management Suite database. The default location for the log file is: c:\Program Files\LANDESK \ManagementSuite\log\DataProtSync.exe.log
Where to go for more information
Navigate the LANDESK Management Suite help topics in the LANDESK Help Center or perform a search using a specific key word or phrase to find the information you want.
The LANDESK User Community has user forums and best known methods for all LANDESK products and technologies. To access this valuable resource, go to:
Was this article useful?
The topic was:
Copyright © 2016, LANDESK. All rights reserved.