Product to package mapping
Use the Product-to-package mapping tool (Tools > Provisioning > OS Provisioning) to map applications detected on source devices to applications found in software distribution packages you've created. You can then use provisioning to automatically install those detected applications onto newly provisioned destination devices.
The list of applications that can be detected comes from the Software license monitoring tool's monitored products list. When the inventory scanner runs on a device, it gives the core server a list of applications from the list that it found on the device. Only products that you've added to the monitored products list are available for product-to-package mapping.
The Customize mapped software action requires a technician to customize mappings at a device while it's being provisioned. For more information, see Customize mapped software (all sections).
The Install mapped software action takes a snapshot of the currently installed products from inventory when the scheduled task is started. This allows the inventory to persist after the device is imaged and a new agent is installed. The snapshot of inventory is cleared once the scheduled task is deleted. The task can be restarted or rerun as long as the task is not removed. For more information, see Install mapped software (System configuration section only).
You can map any software distribution package to an item in the monitored products list. For example, if Office 2003 is a monitored product, in smart migration, you could map it to an Office 2013 distribution package.
Products can have the following mapped states:
- Disable: Product will not be installed on new devices and won't be available in the Customize mapped software action.
- Critical: If a mapping is critical and the package fails to install for some reason, the whole provisioning job will fail and quit. If you don't make a mapping critical, OS provisioning will try to install the application and then it will keep going even if the install fails.
- Customizable: During provisioning, allows a technician at the provisioned device to select whether each customizable mapping will be installed. The provisioning template must have a Customize mapped software action for this to work. This action usually goes at the beginning of the template. If a technician doesn't make any selections, the action will eventually time out and customizable packages that were on the source device will be installed on the new device.
To map products to packages
- Click Tools > Provisioning > OS provisioning.
- On the toolbar, click Tools > Product to package mapping.
- On the left side, select the monitored product that you want to map.
- On the right side, browse the list of available distribution packages that you've created, and select the one you want.
- Click Assign.
Was this article useful?
The topic was:
Not what I expected
Copyright © 2016, LANDESK. All rights reserved.