Power management and IDE redirection
Management Suite includes options to power on and power off Intel vPro devices. These options can be used even when a device's operating system is not responding, as long as the device is connected to the network and has standby power.
When LANDESK Management Suite initiates power option commands, it is not always possible to verify that the commands are supported on the hardware receiving the command. Some devices with Intel vPro may not support all power option features (for example, a device may support IDE-R reboot from CD but not from a floppy). Consult the hardware vendor's documentation if it appears that a power option is not working with a particular device. You may also check for any firmware or BIOS upgrades from Intel for the device if power options do not work as expected.
For Intel vPro devices, when you select Wake up devices in a scheduled task, LANDESK Management Suite will first send an Intel vPro wake up command. If that command is not successful, it will then send a normal Wake on LAN command to the device.
You can simply turn on or off the device's power or you can reboot and specify how the device is rebooted. The following reboot options are available:
- Power off: Shuts down the power on the device.
- Power on: Turns on the power on the device.
- Reboot: Cycles the power off and on again on the device.
- Default Device: Starts up the device using whatever boot sequence is set as the default on the device.
- Boot from local hard drive: Forces a boot from the device's hard drive regardless of the default boot mode on the device.
- Boot from local CD/DVD drive: Forces a boot from the device's CD or DVD drive regardless of the default boot mode on the device.
- PXE boot: When restarted, the PXE-enabled device searches for a PXE server on the network; if found, a PXE boot session is initiated on the device.
- IDE-R boot: Reboots the device using the IDE redirection option selected.
- Enter BIOS setup on power on: When the device is booted, it allows the user to enter the BIOS setup.
- Show console redirection window: When the device is booted, it starts in serial over LAN mode to display a console redirection window.
- IDE redirection: Reboot from floppy: When the device is booted, it starts from the floppy disk drive that is specified.
- IDE redirection: Reboot from CD/DVD: When the device is booted, it starts from the CD drive that is specified.
- IDE redirection: Reboot from specified image file: When the device is booted, it starts from the image file that is specified. Floppy image files must be in .img format, and CD image files must be in .iso format; see the following section.
When using IDE redirection, make sure that the CD image files are in .iso format or on a physical CD/DVD disc installed on the console’s local computer. Some BIOS may require the CD image to be located on a hard drive.
AMT 9 and later devices support graceful power off and reboot. Older devices do not.
Was this article useful?
The topic was:
Not what I expected
Copyright © 2016, LANDESK. All rights reserved.